A title tag is an HTML element that specifies the title of a webpage. They are displayed on search engine result pages as clickable headlines. Did you know that it is possible to make small tweaks to your website that will boost your SEO traffic? By tweaking your title tags, you can obtain the most amount of traffic. So, how do you get more clicks at scale?
1. Start Making Your Title Tags Questions
- Questions tend to receive 14.1% higher CTR (click through rate)
- For example, your title tag can read- “What is SEO?”
- Also, unique, engaging and informative title tags increase visitor interaction and engagement rates.
2. Make Your Title Tags 15 to 40 Characters In Length
- This character length tends to receive 8.6% higher CTR’s.
- 30 to 40 character title tags leaves more than enough room for keywords.
- If your title tag is more than 40 characters in length, you are risking the chance of it becoming cut off in the center.
3. Include Exact Query In URL
- A query string is part of a URL.
- Along with this, a query string assigns value to specified parameters. When the exact query is in the URL, we see a 45% increase in CTR.
- For example, if your query is “digitaltaskforce.com/what-is-seo” and the keyword being googled is “SEO,” and the word “SEO” is in the URL, you will more likely get clicks.
29 Character Title Tag
4. Use Power Words
- Some examples of power words are, effortless, simple, beautiful and amazing.
- Power words increase CTR by 13.9%.
- In addition, power words describe what you are trying to get across to your audience.
- The more adjectives or power words you incorporate into your webpages, the better off you are going to be and the more clicks you are going to receive.
5. Include Emotion In Your Titles
- Titles that contain emotions receive 7.3% higher CTR verses titles that do not contain emotion.
- The more emotions that you can convey to your website visitors, the better off your website will do!
Appeal to Audience Emotions
6. Have A Meta Description
- A meta description is an HTML element that describes and summarizes the content of your page for the overall benefit of users and search engines.
- It overall allows you to describe your page and is vital for your SEO ranking.
- Websites with meta descriptions receive a 5.8% higher CTR.
- Adding a meta description means that Google is going to put what you give them, rather than pulling out random words from your page and make a meta description up for you.
7. Include Years In Your Titles
- Titles with years tend to generate 4.9% higher CTR.
- For example, if your title reads, “How to start a blog in 2030” assuming the year is 2030, it can generate more clicks versus if the year is not there.
- Including a year in the title can tell people what is more relevant and up to date.
- Thus, if your business happens to sell retail related products, then this feature is perfect for you!
8. Evoking Curiosity In Titles
- Evoking curiosity increases CTR by 5.9%.
- For example, if you have a blog post entitled, “The 5 benefits of drinking tea, number 4 will blow your mind!” Although this title is a bit lengthy, it will still evoke curiosity in people, causing them to click and read.
- See Image 1.5 for an example of an blog post with a title tag that evokes curiosity that we wrote for one of our clients, Red Hanger.
Interesting Title Tag
9. Resemble Education In Titles
- Titles that resemble education have a 10.4% more clicks that tiles that do not.
- For example, if you have a blog post that includes the words, “How to…” people will more likely click and read, because they know that they will learn something new, and become more knowledgeable.
“How To” Title Tag
10. Look At Paid Ads
- You will more likely become successful if you look at people who are running ads and their ad copy. These people in specific have to optimize for quality score.
- Google wants them to have a high percentage of clicks, because Google makes money on a cost per click, therefore, if their title isn’t good, then they won’t receive a large number of clicks and Google won’t make money.
- Learning from people who have paid ads, and their ad copy, can allow you to generate better titles overall!
Need assistance with creating the best title tags for your company’s website? Digital Task Force is here to help! We will ensure that the title tags of your web pages are an accurate and concise description of all the content displayed on the page. We understand just how important title tags are for SEO and usability purposes! Contact us today.
Contact Digital Task Force
Get consultation, done for you services and more for websites, social media and ad campaigns.